Cheesy Morogo Open Sandwich
2 Blue Ribbon Squares (makes four open sandwiches)
2 boiled eggs
2 handfuls of spinach, washed and chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 potato, diced
2 cups liquid vegetable stock
1 chilli, finely chopped (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Rocket (to garnish)
- Prepare all ingredients as listed. Place your liquid stock in a pot and bring to the boil.
- While your stock heats up, in another pot, cover the eggs with cold water and bring to the boil. When the water is bubbling, remove from the heat. Cover with a lid and allow to stand for six to seven minutes (for hard eggs). When done, remove the eggs from the water and set aside.
- Place your chopped potatoes into the stock and boil until soft. Remove the potatoes from the stock and set aside – keeping the stock in the pot.
- Place your chopped spinach into the hot stock and boil for a minute.
- In another pan, add a knob of butter and sauté your onions, green pepper and chilli on high heat. After blanching your spinach for a minute in the stock, add it to the pan, along with the boiled potatoes and diced cheddar.
- Place your Blue Ribbon Squares in the toaster (without separating the slices) and toast until golden on the outside.
- Open your toasted Squares, butter them and layer on the sliced boiled egg. Top with the cheesy spinach mixture. Garnish with some fresh rocket and a crack of salt and pepper to taste.