Boerewors and Egg Cups
The Slice of SA competition helped us find the boldest and best South African recipes from our Blue Ribbon fans. Our Sandwich Squares were topped, stacked and filled with some fresh recipes from our winners.
4 Blue Ribbon Squares (makes 8 cups)
1 cup chopped, cooked boerewors
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 onion, chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
½ cup cream
Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°
- Melt the butter. Open your Blue Ribbon Squares and brush both sides of each slice with the butter.
- Sauté the onion and green pepper in a pan with a teaspoon of butter.
- Mold your Blue Ribbon Squares into a muffin pan to create cups (you may need to fold them slightly depending on the size of the muffin cups).
- Beat the cream and eggs together, adding a pinch of salt and some black pepper.
- Layer your boerewors, onions, pepper and cheddar into the cups. Pour the egg mixture over the filling, taking care not to over-fill each cup.
- Place the muffin tray into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.